Your newly straightened hair won’t take care of itself — you should. After all, you’re the one wearing it. Take a look at these basic care tips for newly straightened hair from CirclesOfSubiaco.com.au:
- After your hair straightening treatment, you must follow your hairdresser’s after care tips to a tee to prevent your hair from becoming dry and brittle.
- For long-lasting shine, rinse well after every shampoo since shampoo residue can easily accumulate on straightened hair, making it look lackluster and weighed down. Consider shampooing every other day instead and only use mild shampoos that won’t strip away your hair’s natural oils.
- Treat your hair to a deep conditioning treatment every week and consider using a leave-in conditioner or natural oils every day, so your hair is always moisturised.
- Avoid overlapping chemical treatments. Touch-up chemical treatments after your hair straightening treatment must be performed only on new growth. Otherwise, your hair structure may degrade because of excessive chemical exposure.
- Make sure to have your hair regularly trimmed to avoid breakage and split ends.
- Detangling should only be done with your fingers or a wide tooth combed.
- Heat may significantly damage chemically straightened hair, so if you must use a hot iron or blow dryer, keep the heat to lowest setting.
- When visiting your hairdresser, you should be totally honest about all the past treatments, whether chemical or not, you’ve had done or have done yourself at home. There are different considerations for straightened hair and sometimes, these will be different from hairdresser to hairdresser.
Depending on the hair straightening treatment used, your hair’s overall health, and your maintenance routine, newly straightened hair can last you from three to six months. And while straightened hair can be a bit of challenge to maintain, with the right attitude, tools, and hair care products, it can be a breeze. Likewise, if you are itching for a makeover, consult your trusty hairdresser about new haircuts and styles that will go well with your straight hair.