Skin cancer is one of the better forms of illnesses because you can spot the signs that you are developing it almost immediately. With that said, suffering from any form of cancer still puts your life at risk. The moment you notice something different with your skin, you need to keep yourself under observation to avoid letting cancer develop.
Here are some of the signs you need to look out for if you are worried about getting skin cancer:
- Mole Irregularity – Melanoma is one of the most lethal forms of skin cancer. Fortunately, you can spot its symptoms by checking your moles or birthmarks. The medical world uses the “ABCDE” rule to help people find signs for melanoma in their moles or birthmarks.
- Asymmetry – When one side of the mole or birthmark does not match the other.
- Border – When the mole or birthmark is growing in an irregular shape.
- Color – When the mole or birthmark has a fading tone or two different colors.
- Diameter – When the mole or birthmark is unusually large
- Evolving – When you notice that your mole or birthmark is growing in color tone, shape, or size.
- Yellowish Areas – Basal cell carcinoma is the most common type of skin cancer. You can get this condition if you stay exposed under the sun for most of the day. You will notice yellow and scar-like features on the body parts that are usually exposed like your face, neck, and head.
- Red Patches – You can also get squamous cell carcinomas when you are staying under the sun often. Cancer grows on the ears, face, lips, hands, and neck. If you notice that you have itchy red patches that are bleeding without the use of external force, you might be developing cancer.
- Unusual Bumps and Swelling – Skin cancer symptoms are difficult to differentiate from usual irritation, but it is helpful to remain cautious. When you notice bumps or swelling appearing on your skin for no particular reason, it is okay to assume that you are getting the condition’s signs.
Skin Cancer Treatments
Attacking skin cancer in its early stages will be helpful for your survival. More than 90% of people who have skin cancer survived within the first months of treatment. If you let the skin cancer take a more lethal form, you will decrease your chances of survival. You need to do these steps the moment you are getting suspicious about the irregularities on your skin.
Constantly Check Suspicious Areas
It is perfectly normal for you to panic upon seeing unusual spots on your skin. However, most of them are only signs of skin irritation, not cancer. To avoid expensive medical checkups, you need to keep a close watch on suspicious spots to see if they are signs of the disease.
Consult Dermatologist Immediately
If you are still not sure about the symptoms, you may consult your dermatologist. The skin doctor will rule out skin cancer to keep you from worrying. However, dermatologists can also identify the type of skin cancer you have and give you multiple treatment options.
Consider Treatment Options
Large clinics in Salem have skin cancer treatment options for patients. However, doctors need to do a series of tests before giving you the best choices for treatment. First, the doctors will determine the severity level of your skin cancer. Then, they will provide you with options to undergo surgery, radiation treatment, or chemotherapy. You will need to prepare for a higher treatment cost depending on the severity of the condition.
Noticing the earliest signs of skin cancer will help you avoid putting your life at risk. The moment you confirm the symptoms, you should try to find ways to get rid of skin cancer as early as possible.